Tips on Finding the Right Contractor
When it comes to home renovation, doing things right the first time is important. Construction can be expensive, so the last thing anyone wants is to have to hire a 2nd contractor to fix the 1st contractor’s mistakes. When looking for a contractor to help you with your next home project, whether large or small, keep these tips in mind:
- Ask for recommendations and check references. One of the best ways to find a contractor is through word of mouth. Friends, neighbors and relatives can refer contractors they’ve used in the past. Make sure to thoroughly check references and ask for a recommendation. Better yet: go to a person’s house and check out the work for yourself. Not everyone has the same standards. Make sure the work you see completed is a job you’d be happy with yourself.
- Get several bids. You’ll feel better about the fees you’ll be paying for the project when you compare costs. Let contractor’s know you’re shopping around the best pricing and ask for competitive bids. Compare prices and remember: the least expensive doesn’t always mean the best.
- Get all estimates in writing. Make certain all the estimates are itemized. Know what each part of the project will cost and ask for an estimated timeline.
- Discuss sub-contractors. Not all contractors can do all projects. Discuss which parts of the project they’ll be bringing in other experts to do the work, like plumbing, electrical, etc. Ask how long they’ve worked with each sub-contractor and ask for their bids separately, in writing, as well.
- Leave reviews. If you’re happy with your contractor, don’t be afraid to help spread the word. Leave reviews on business sites, like Yelp or Angie’s List to let others know you’re happy with their work. The next time a job comes up around the home or office and you call your contractor, they’ll remember the good deed.
For more information about hiring the right contractor for your home or commercial project in Bergen or Rockland county, call Paulis Inc. today and ask for Paul!